In our family, it’s a tradition to have a holiday roast every year. A big, feed-a-crowd roast is something we don’t take the time to prepare all that often, so it makes the holiday season a little more special to look forward to. This year, the star of our family’s holiday feast will be this garlic and herb-roasted leg of lamb. I use a semi-boneless leg of lamb (which makes for easier carving) because the bone provides flavor and richness to the surrounding meat and makes for a more impressive presentation when entertaining. I start the meat off at high heat in the oven, to brown and crisp the outside, then turn the heat down and cook it low and slow for tender, juicy meat all the way through. The flavor is outstanding—savory, fragrant with rosemary and garlic, and yet delicate at the same time.
As always, I got my lamb from Superior Farms, the leading purveyor of ranch-to-table sustainably-raised American lamb. Not only do I love the lamb they provide, but I love their values, too. They partner with family farmers and ranchers all across the U.S. who raise their lamb naturally, kindly, and sustainably, on open pastures without added hormones.
The good news is that getting Superior Farms lamb is easier than ever. You can order your very own leg of lamb (or any cut you like!) straight to your door, directly on their site. And this year, they’ve bundled their most popular lamb cuts into one Holiday Pack so you can try them all for yourself—think savory ossobuco, comforting lamb stew, or a succulent leg roast like this one.
Give The Gift of the American Lamb
Or, if you’re still wondering what gifts to buy for the people you love, the Holiday Pack makes a fabulous and easy gift for the foodie or chef in your life! Here’s what’s included:
- 2 packs of Lamb Hindshank Ossobuco – These American lamb hindshank slices are perfect for braising in Italian-style ossobuco. “Elegant comfort” food at its best.
- 2 packs of Boneless Lamb Stew Meat, cubed and ready to cook – Superior Farms American lamb stew meat is made from high-quality cuts and is perfect in the pot!
- 1 Lamb Leg, French Carved – The Frenched (exposed) bone end of this delicious semi-boneless American lamb leg makes for a dramatic presentation, but also allows for easier handling while cutting into the meatier, boneless end.
How It’s Deliver:
Superior Farms delivers right to your front door (or the door of anyone you gift it to!). To ensure the freshest, best quality, they pack the lamb with dry ice, double box it, and ship it frozen directly from their fulfillment center in Kansas City, KS.
You can order your own Holiday Lamb Pack for any lamb dishes you are bringing to life this season. Be sure to use my code: ANDIE MITCHELL at www.superior-farms.com and you’ll get free 2-day shipping on your next order. These packs are popular, so be sure to order by December 18 for holiday delivery!
Garlic and Herb Roasted Leg of Lamb
- 1 whole leg of lamb *semiboneless (6 to 8 pounds)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Rub the lamb on all sides with the oil and season generously all over with salt and pepper. Place leg, meaty side down, on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking pan. Roast for 15 minutes, flip it over, and roast for 15 more minutes on the other side.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Remove the lamb from the oven and brush the top with the mustard. Press the minced garlic, chopped rosemary, and parsley into the mustard. Continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer is put into the thickest part of the meat (but away from the bone), and register 130 to 135 degrees for medium doneness, 30 to 45 minutes (check after 30 minutes but be prepared if it takes longer!).
- Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and tent it with foil. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Slice across the grain of the meat and serve.
*A semi-boneless leg of lamb has had the hipbone removed to facilitate carving.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 527mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 99IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 3mg
This post is sponsored by Superior Farms American lamb.