When it comes to health and weight loss, they can be two very different things. You can be eating a nutritious, healthy diet and still not be achieving results you want.
This rate is different for everyone. Your BMR takes into account your age, gender, height, activity level, whether your breastfeeding or not, all to determine how many calories your body burns each day.
Healthy Mummy Super Coach, Cicily Goodwin – who has lost 56kg by following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge – shares her tips to stick to eating to your BMR.
What is your BMR?
You use energy no matter what you’re doing, even when sleeping.
Your BMR is the number of calories you’d burn if you stayed in bed all day. Please note that you must never eat below your BMR calories every day otherwise you can send your body into starvation mode.
Your BMR decreases as you age so it becomes harder to stay slim as you get older.
Likewise, depriving yourself of food in hopes of losing weight also decreases your BMR which is a trap many people fall into.
However, a regular routine of cardiovascular exercise, muscle building exercises and metabolism boosting foods can increase your BMR, improving your health and fitness when your body’s ability to burn energy gradually slows down. You can calculate your BMR below.
Why it’s important to eat to your BMR
It’s important to understand the science behind this rate, because this is how you will be able to achieve that weight loss you desire.
Each day we need to be eating less calories than our bodies are consuming, so your BMR is important in telling you exactly how many calories you need.
When we understand this and eat to our BMR requirements, we are forcing our bodies into that calorie deficit and this is how you get results.
There is nothing more disheartening that eating super healthy and not seeing the scales move or the centimetres fall off! And that is the difference between health and weight loss, and why this BMR really matters!
So your first step is to check your BMR using our calculator.Once you figure out how many calories you need to be eating per day, it’s time to look at what we’re eating each day and see if we’re doing it right.
Whether you need to get increase or decrease your calories, The Healthy Mummy has the means for both! You can choose meal plans with different calories e.g Higher calorie meal plan, and you can also search the recipe hub by high or low calories.
Some ways to decrease your calories:
- Make your smoothies with almond milk or water instead of full cream or lite milk
- Don’t use cooking oil if you don’t have to
- Choose lighter snacks
- Use an alternative like Konjac noodles or cauliflower rice
- Cut sugar out of your tea/coffee and substitute with stevia if needed
- Choose drinking water over other liquids
Some ways to increase your calories:
- Add coconut oil to your smoothies
- Use full fat ingredients when cooking e.g. full cream yoghurt instead of lite yoghurt
- Add extra protein to your meals
- Add an extra snack into your day, e.g. instead of one bliss ball for morning tea have two!
- Choose meals with higher calories from the recipe hub, e.g. the sneaky snickers smoothie recipes has 500 calories, the spinach and ricotta pasta bake has 600 calories. Choose these type of nutrient dense meals that will all add up!
- Try adding some other The Healthy Mummy products into your day. e.g. The Hot Chocolate with Collagen, The Coffee Protein Powder or the Tummy snack bars!
Your BMR is key to your success! If you stick to your BMR requirements you will see those results you’re wanting!
Every 5kgs you lose it’s important to recalculate your BMR to make it accurate at every stage of your journey.
TIP** if you’re changing ingredients in the recipes, this will change the calories. So to make sure we’re not under/overeating, be sure to account for any differences you make.
Also, that extra piece of peanut bubble crunch DOES count towards those calories (even though it’s irresistibly good!), so just be aware of what you’re eating and understand how that may affect your BMR calorie target each day.
Are you ready to kick-start your weight loss?
Want to shift your weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily?
That’s where the Healthy Mummy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
What do you get? You get access to:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.